Mt. Carmel Baptist Church was organized under the guidance of the Mother church, Tabernacle Baptist Church, Beaufort, South Carolina in 1869 under the leadership of Rev. D. W. Blythewood of Tabernacle. In 2010 things are still much as they were in 1869, except we are no longer kneeling on the velvet like grass provided by nature but on the comfort of carpeting. The hymns are accompanied by the music of the piano, keyboard, drums, guitar and organ, replacing the chirping birds. The most important thing is still the same; the members of Mt. Carmel Baptist Church are still praying to God Almighty and singing praises to His name.